In 2012, the WEEE Control regulation issued by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization introduced various obligations to the EEE manufacturer / importer and distributor. Firms can fulfill the obligations defined in the legislation through TUBISAD Compliance Scheme (TYK).
Obligations of Producer/importer
Producer: Real and legal person who puts EEE on the market, regardless of the method of sale, including the sales made by distance contracts within the scope of directive number 27866 and dated 6/3/2011 the Regulation on Distance Agreements. Acording to the definition, A producer is a company who;
- sells EEE produced by other suppliers with its own brand,
- produces and sells EEE with its own brand,
- Import sEEE for commercial purposes
Basic responsibilities of producer/importer are listed under the relevant headings:
T.C. Ministry of Environment and Urbanization:
Manufacturers / importers must register in the Integrated Environmental Information System (EÇBS) and make declarations through this system.
Until the end of February of each year, Annex-3 "Compliance Declaration Form" and Annex-5 "Producer Reporting Tables" are filled in through the EEE and WEEE information systems and sent to T.C. Ministry of Environment and Urbanization.
Firms are obliged to prepare the WEEE management plan for the fulfillment of the obligations arising from the regulation and submit it to the Ministry for approval. This obligation is fulfilled by the company itself or the compliance scheme on behalf of the collective system.
Firms involved in the Compliance Scheme are required to declare to the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization.
Data entries regarding EEE PoM value and WEEE formations, shall be made both to the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization and to the TYK WEEE Tracking System (TYK ATS). Declarations are necessary to meet criteria by regulations
Stakeholders should use their own usernames and passwords to login to the system.
User’s guide of system is under the heading "Company"“Firma” in the system.
Obligations of producers / importers are to provide recycling and recovery of products which are put on the market or imported at the numbers determined in clause #9 * of the WEEE Control Regulation. (* The Ministry of Environment and Urbanization has revised the rates in clause # 9 of the WEEE control regulation as follows
According to years, WEEE collecting targets;
TYK fulfills these obligations of companies to reach the targets of companies by improving collection systems and increasing the collection efficiency of WEEE.
Product Marking inline with WEEE Legislation
In line with TS-EN No. 50419, (Turkish Standard) and WEEE Regulation (22.05.2012) EEE producers should mark EEE put on the market. Following symbol is placed in ANNEX-6 of WEEE Regulation.
Figure 1: symbol of “e-waste is not waste”
"Product manual shall contain “Inline with WEEE Regulation” statement.
In order to ensure that WEEEs are processed in accordance with technical criteria, including collection, reuse, recycling and recovery, for each new EEE put on market; guide or electronic information source for use has to be published. This guide or electronic information consists of components, materials used and information on the location of the hazardous substances and preparations contained in the product.
WEEE Management Guarantee
The producers are obliged to provide the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization with the guarantee that they will cover the costs resulting from the relevant Regulation for EEE products. Membership in Compliance Scheme is considered as a guarantee. Companies which prefer to fulfil legislative requirements individually, need to take care of Guarantees inline with The Ministry of Environment and Urbanization indications.
In addition to the above , the below listed collection system to be fulfilled by the legislative directive, education awareness and awareness studies are performed by non-profit TYK on behalf of producers
Costs Resulting from the Legislation include:
- Access to WEEE
- Transport of WEEE to recycling facilities
- Recycling fees in case of occurence
- Organizing training and awareness raising campaigns
- It should support cooperation with the Special Provincial Administrations to collect domestic WEEEs outside the competence of the municipalities.
- As stated in the procedures and principles of the Compliance scheme, some activities related to recycling such as public awareness and a public spot raising from activities should be prepared, on a yearly basis.
Obligations of Distributor companies:
According to WEEE control regulation, definition of distributers is as follows:
Distributor: Any real or legal person that delivers EEE to the user commercially, including sales made through electronic communications
Distribution companies within the scope of the regulation;
- Free of charge WEEE acceptance by the end user when a new equivalent EEE is purchased.
- Placement of WEEE collection equipment within physical borders of the sales area
- By informing the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, domestic WEEE collected from consumers should be sent to the collection systems specified in the Regulation or to treatment facilities holding environmental permit.
- Information regarding collection of WEEE, recycling of WEEE, collection points of other WEEE, the symbol in Figure 1 and the meaning of this symbol should be given at the point of sale and the place where end users can easily see.